Pages

Saturday, January 11, 2014

DIY Conditioner: Coconut Oil

Welcome to Urban DIYs! Today's post describes a cost-effective DIY that has great results! I have straight, mid-length, thick black hair which is unfortunately dry year-round. I am always tempted to purchase hair products that are marketed with nourishing or moisturizing properties. However, I am always disappointed and I turn back to this natural miracle product...coconut oil!

Instead of purchasing a conditioner filled with chemicals, try using coconut oil. But instead of using it post-shampoo in the shower, use it prior to getting into the shower! This allows the oil to soak into your hair. Think of it as a pre-shower hair mask. This way, you get the nutrients without the grease! Keep reading to see how I use coconut oil...

Supplies:
Coconut oil

Steps:

1. Melt the oil into a liquid form. I purchase a coconut oil from my local Indian grocery store. This oil has a tendency to solidify during the colder months. Before I take a shower I simply run the bottle under hot water from my sink until it turns into a semi-liquid consistency. Also, the oil will melt simply from the heat from your hands.

Coconut hair oil purchased from my local Indian grocery, but any coconut oil will work!
Placing my oil under hot water from my bathroom sink. I transferred the contents of the Vatika bottle into an upcycled salsa jar as it makes for easier heating and application.

Aerial view of the partially melted oil. This is my ideal consistency!

2. Apply the oil on your hair from your ears down. It has taken me a few tries to figure out how much oil is best. I recently cut my hair so I now use about half a teaspoon. I strongly recommend not using this product in the shower, it can result in a slippery floor!

3. Do your normal shower routine minus the conditioner and when you're done, your hair will not only be less tangled, but it will also be imbued with natural and strengthening ingredients.

This DIY is great because I only purchase two products for my hair: shampoo and coconut oil, making my hair healthy (less products, less chemicals) and my wallet happy!

- Urban DIYs

Disclaimer: This method has worked well on my hair, it may not produce the same results on everyone but it is something to try, you might be hooked! I wash my hair every other day and I use this each time. I follow up with Head and Shoulders shampoo and I always let my hair air dry.