Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

DIY Gift: Wooden tray

Welcome back, blog readers! Today's post is about a DIY wooden tray, or in this case a PIY (paint it yourself) wooden tray. When I have some down time (hello, month-long winter break) and I'm feeling crafty, I head to my local craft store and pick up a few wooden pieces to paint. This tradition goes way back. Throughout my childhood, summers always meant two things: trips to the lake and trips to Rag Shop, the best craft store! Rag Shop has closed down and I have grown older, but I still find it very relaxing to take my paint brush to some wood and bring some color into my home!

Unlike some of my other DIY projects, in which the benefits literally outweigh the costs, I did spend money to acquire the supplies needed for this project. However, since I made this as a gift, it was less than I could have spent purchasing a less meaningful gift. Also, all the paints in my collection are well used (minus that dreadful vomit green, still wondering what went through my mind when I bought it three years ago) so it was not a one-time-use-kind-of-purchase. Anyway, enough intro, keep reading to see how I did this simple and relaxing DIY...

Supplies:

Newspaper/grocery bags
Wooden tray (or any wooden piece)
Acrylic paint
Paintbrushes
Empty/used cups
Water

Steps:

1. Set up your painting station. I like to sit on the floor and paint. I place my wooden piece on top of old newspapers or grocery bags (the paint does not seep through). Use a cup (one that you do not plan on drinking from) and fill it with water to wet and clean your brushes throughout the project. Use cups or plates to squirt your paint on.

2. Paint the tray as desired! Paint along the grooves (not the right word...) of the wood. If the wood has a vertical pattern, paint with vertical strokes, it makes a huge difference in the end. I chose three different colors for this tray...

Colors from left to right: Craft Smart Hunter Green, Craft Smart Wine, Deco Art Dusty Pink


3. Use several coats! This may take time since you need to allow the paint to dry. I decided to paint this tray over two days.



4. Top it all off with a varnish, this is optional but it adds a nice sheen to the paint. One of the colors I chose had a glossy effect so I chose not to use varnish.



This DIY is a great gift, because you are not only giving something "handmade" but also something functional. This tray can be used as table decor, for food and drinks and even to organize office space. Anyway, hope you enjoyed this simple DIY art project! You may have to spend a little to get the supplies but these projects make great gifts and serve as great stress relievers, so in my book they get an A+!

See you next time for more DIYs!

- Urban DIYs


Note: Despite all the DIY things I do, I am not artistically inclined. Any craft project I post on this blog is an example of something I do to relax. Thus, I enjoy simple DIY crafts like this one.