Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

DIY Review: Sugar Cookies

Welcome back to Urban DIYs! Since this is my last week of winter break I have been trying to make the most of it, and that has included a lot of baking! My idea of baking usually involves a store-bought cake mix, not only because it is convenient but also because I love how the cakes taste! ...Is it just me? But alas, yesterday I did not have cake mix on hand so I decided to take the plunge and try something new...

This DIY is influenced by one of my best friends, who is an incredible baker. After scarfing down her Christmas cookies a few weeks ago, I told myself I would finally do it myself. She sent me a variety of homemade cookies, but yesterday I thought I would start simple and bake sugar cookies and glaze. I love this DIY because I had all the ingredients at home and it made me aware of everything that was going into what I would later eat (ahem, all that butter). It was also a fun DIY that I was able to share with my family.

The recipe for these sugar cookies comes from: Allrecipes.com. I love using this website because the recipes are simple and the directions are clear and spot on! Check it out! And as I did with my previous review, I am taking you through the process...

Ingredients for Sugar Cookie (~ 30 servings):
  • 3/4 cup butter (softened)
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/4-1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons milk
Directions:

1. Soften your butter. I put mine in the microwave (in a microwave safe bowl, not the one pictured below).

2. In a large bowl, mix together the butter and sugar.





3. Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.





4. Mix in the flour, baking powder and salt.

At this point I stopped using my electric mixer and used my hands and a spoon


5. Cover and chill dough in fridge (I chilled it for about 30 minutes).



6. While the dough is chilling, mix together the ingredients for the glaze. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk. It might look like it is not enough for the amount of cookies, but it is meant to be a thin layer on top of each cookie, so my measurements worked out well.  Instead of vanilla extract and milk you could try orange juice or use water and lemon juice.



7. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

8. Roll dough into little balls and press flat on an ungreased baking tray. The thickness of the cookies should be about 1/2 inch. To avoid the dough sticking on the tray I sprinkled a little flour on the baking tray and I coating my hands in flour before shaping the dough.



9. Bake 6-8 minutes.

10. Take a small amount of glaze create a thin layer over each cookie.

11. Serve! If you have leftover dough, like I did, put it in a container and save it for another day!



Review:

Pros:
  • I did not purchase anything for this DIY.
  • Easy to make.
  • Tastes delicious!
  • You can decide (control) how many cookies to make at a time since the dough preserves well...
  • You can decide how to shape your cookies each time you make them.
Cons:
  • Glaze was too sweet.
Overall, I really recommend this DIY recipe! If you tend not to bake from scratch this is a great DIY recipe to start you off! I was proud of my results and I can't wait to use the leftover batter and make more cookies today! The only regret I have was not adding a twist to this recipe, even something like cinnamon or lemon, but now I know what to do for next time. Since Valentine's Day is around the corner, try making these! I would suggest using themed cookie cutters and maybe some red food coloring!

Enjoy!!

- Urban DIYs