Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

DIY Shave Gel

Welcome back to Urban DIYs! Today I bring to you a DIY shave gel. For several years I used to purchase Skintimate shave gel. It was a convenient product but I finally stopped purchasing it for two reasons. First, I do not like to purchase aerosol cans since they are detrimental to the environment. Second, I ended up wasting more than I was using. After each pump I would always end up with more than I needed and there was no way to return the product to the can...thus it became incredibly wasteful. So, I was on the hunt for a more sustainable way to keep my legs smooth and my conscious free! Keep reading to learn how I use conditioner to shave...

A few posts ago, I wrote about how I use coconut oil as my go-to conditioner. When I made this switch (years ago), I was left with a half-filled bottle of conditioner and several of those pesky little travel size conditioners (that I somehow keep accumulating and never use). Instead of using conditioner on my hair, I now use it to shave my legs. This is a great DIY shave gel for several reasons...
  1. I am using up what I already have.
  2. I am not purchasing aerosols.
  3. The conditioner bottle can be recycled.
  4. I have full control over how much product I need and I do not waste anything.
  5. I am using a product that can double as a hair product (for my mom and visitors).
  6. The product lasts much longer than my old shave gel.
  7. My skin feels so smooth!


This is a great transitional DIY since you most likely do not need to purchase anything to try this. Next time you hop into the shower, use conditioner as your shave gel and hopefully your results will be as great as mine!

Just a reminder, DIY or "do it yourself" projects are not limited to artwork or crafts, they can be as simple as this one. Notice how many times I used I in my list. This minor DIY has made me more self-reliant by finding an alternative that agrees with my budget and conscious! 

-Urban DIYs

No comments:

Post a Comment