Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

DIY Dry Cleaning

Welcome back to Urban DIYs! Today's post was actually requested, and the more I thought about it, the more I love this idea! Last semester I had an internship in a very professional setting and I realized I wore my makeshift pantsuit more than anything. Between wearing it so often and being a messy eater, I ended up dry cleaning it more than I wanted to...

At home my mom uses the Woolite At-Home Dry Cleaner which removes minor stains and almost "refreshens" dry-clean only items. After paying for dry cleaning for a few months I now realize the value of this product! Keep reading to find out how to DIY dry clean, to save you money, time and an extra trip to the dry-cleaners...

Supplies:

Woolite At-Home Dry Cleaner




Directions:

1. Select a few items of clothing (of the same fabric) and place them in the dryer. Click on the link above to find out if your items are safe for this method. Woolite does not recommend fur, leather, suede or velvet.

2. Place one of the Cleaner Cloths, provided in the kit, in your load.



3. Turn on the dryer on medium heat or permanent press for about 20 minutes...and voila you should have dry cleaned clothes!


Pros:
  • Less expensive than professional dry cleaning.
  • Takes only 20 minutes.
  • I can do this within my home.
  • It is great at removing oil-based stains.
Cons:
  • This product may not be suitable for dryers that have a standard timer, such as those in dorm or apartment-style buildings. 

I do not recommend using this method for your most expensive or cherished piece of clothing, especially if you know that a professional dry cleaner has good results...but if you feel like you are spending too much on dry cleaning, and if you want to control when you will have clean clothes, check out this method! Also, professional dry cleaners use a lot of chemicals and a lot of plastic, so reducing your support is also better for the environment :)

Best wishes!

- Urban DIYs


Note: I recommend Woolite but there are many other brands that sell a similar product that may be more or less effective. I do not have any affiliation with this brand.