Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

DIY Marinated Salad

Saying that I love salad would be an understatement. I am obsessed. My family always says that I am programmed to only eat fruits and raw veggies! So today I thought I would share with you an old salad recipe of mine. I love this recipe for two reasons: I always have the ingredients on hand and the recipe isn't binding - you can stick to the amounts or stray, it is up to you - very DIY!

Ingredients:

Salad:

2 cups chopped cucumber*
2 cups chopped carrots
1 medium red onion chopped**
1/2 cup chopped celery

* Feel free to cut them in any style, I prefer chopped
** This amount changes each time so use as much or as little as you like

Dressing:

1 cup vinegar***
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

*** I recommend the Heinz brand as it is the sharpest and cheapest!

Bertolli Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Colavita Aged White Wine Vinegar, 365 Sea Salt,
365 Black Pepper, Dominos White Sugar (in an upcycled jar!)


Recipe:

1. Cut all your veggies and place in a bowl.

2. Mix together the ingredients for the dressing in a screw-top jar. The ingredients will settle so make sure you shake it up!

3. Pour the dressing over the vegetables. If you altered the ratios, be careful when pouring the dressing, add as much or as little as you like. I tend not to use the entire jar...

4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in your fridge for a few hours. This will allow the vegetables to marinate. Sometimes I make this at night so the vegetables can marinate overnight.

5. After some time has passed, place the mixture in a strainer. If you want to save the dressing, make sure to place a bowl or cup underneath the strainer.

6. Time to serve! I have two suggestions: wedge salad or bowl salad.

For the wedge salad, cut up a head of lettuce into individual size wedges. Place the marinated vegetables on top of each wedge. The presentation looks great, but make sure that you make as many wedges as people will eat. Since the vegetables are marinated, it does not last well beyond a day or two.

For the bowl salad, take a large bowl and cover the bottom and sides with lettuce. This does not need to be precise. Fill the bowl with the marinated mixture. People can take lettuce if they would like or just grab the mixture.


Enjoy! This dressing recipe is definitely on the sweet side of life, so if you're having trouble getting those veggies in, then try this out :)


- Urban DIYs