Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Handmade Cards: Banner

Welcome back to another Handmade Cards post! Today I want to share with you a card that can be appreciated by more than just the recipient! This card is perfect to display since it doubles as a hanging banner! Keep reading to check out how to make this creative DIY card...

Supplies:

Cardstock
Paper
Ruler
Pencil/Makers
String
Tape
Glue

Steps:

1. Take your cardstock, which will serve as the base of the card, and fold it vertically, or as we said in elementary school hotdog style. Place this aside...

2. Take your paper and place it horizontally in front of you. Fold over about 1" of the paper (toward you) so you create a long 1" wide flap. Take your ruler and mark 1" intervals along the paper; this represents the edges of the triangles. Move your ruler further down and mark the midpoint between the 1" intervals you just created. Use your ruler to connect all three dots to create a triangle...



3. Write the letters in the center of each triangle. I made a birthday card so I wrote each letter of "Happy Birthday" on each triangle. Then proceed to cut out each triangle. 


4. Measure your string. The length of your string will depend on the size of your cardstock and the amount of letters you have. In this case my string was about 8". I taped one end of the string to the cardstock to make Step 6 a little easier...


5. Glue together the open ends of each triangle. As shown below, try and make sure there is enough space to thread the string through.


6. Thread the letters through and tape the other end. I decided to use one string for "Happy" and another string for "Birthday".


7. Decorate the card as you like! I cut out circles (I actually used the hole on my tape as a stencil!) from different colored scraps of paper to create a polkadot background.


If your triangular letters are moving around, feel free to staple each letter, or every other letter, to the string. As long as the staples are uniform it will not detract from the beauty of the card. The only thing I would change about my card is to add something to cover up the ends of the string such as dots or stickers. 

On the front of the card I wrote the recipient's name and using purple construction paper and leftover string I made a balloon that appeared to be floating away! In terms of writing a message, I would either write it on the back of the card or include a separate note in the card's envelope. If you do not add a personal note on the card, at least write your name and the date. This card is so unique that your recipient might save it and when he/she opens it years later, your name will evoke warm (and creative) memories!

I hope you enjoy making this card! See you next time for more DIYs...

- Urban DIYs